20140614

Save or Spend?: Elf Matte Lip Colour vs. Mac Satin Lipstick

This definitely isn't the most obvious comparison in the world, but when I bought these two around about the same time, I was struck by how similar the formulas are. The colours are obviously fairly different, the MAC is pink whereas the Elf is brown, but everything else is comparable. So here is MAC's Twig (£15) vs. Elf's Praline (£3.95).







Packaging


The packaging has a pretty similar feel. Both are sleek black with white writing. The Elf has the colour on the bottom, whilst the MAC has the name of the colour and its finish on the bottom.
Winner: Draw

Colour Selection

MAC's Satin Lipstick comes in an impressive 21 colours (though many of them are quite similar to each other), whereas Elf's comes in only 6. The colours of Elf's version are all a lot more different to each other, however 5/6 are on the light side.
Winner: MAC

Twig vs. Praline














It's kind of pointless to compare colour too much, as they are different and both are nice in their own way. Although MAC is a satin finish and Elf is a matte, they seem almost identical in their formulas.
Winner: Draw

Ease of Application

They both go on really smoothly. However I would say that applying with Elf's thinner tip was definitely a lot less clumsy than with the traditional lipstick shape of MAC's.
Winner: Elf 

Finish


(Left: Elf Studio Matte Lip Colour in Praline, Right: MAC Satin Lipstick in Twig)
The finish is extremely similar, even the colours look fairly alike when applied.
Winner: Draw

Staying Power

Both lasted a while, through eating and drinking, however the Elf was incredible in this respect. It lasts all day, whereas with the MAC I did have to re-apply once or twice. This still isn't very often, but it's not as good as the Elf.
Winner: Elf

Shelf Life

This one was a little hard to call, both didn't need much application initially. I'd say they're pretty evenly matched.
Winner: Draw

Value for Money

With everything taken into consideration, the Elf is much better value. However I still love the MAC lipstick and am glad I bought it and as the formula has so many more colours that'll probably be the one I re-purchase.
Winner: Elf

Overall Winner:
Elf

My individual reviews of each product:
Elf
MAC

If you've tried either of these leave me a comment letting me know what you thought of it :)


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - I read and appreciate every single one :)

There's no need to spam - I will check out your blog if you leave a click-able link under a genuine comment!

If you have a question please check back for my reply or tweet me @jasminetalksblg

xx

© Jasmine Talks Beauty | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig